Saturday, October 15, 2011

What's in a Name?

I have a lot of trouble naming my characters.  My automatic inclination is to use names of people I know.  My mind always turns to names that I find interesting and unique,  but also to names I am familiar with...like for instance the names of people I went to high school or college with.  The problem is that when using a name for a character, I do not associate any of the qualities of the real person with the qualities of the character.  The person whose name I am using might not understand that, however.  So if I want to name the villain of the story Robert, I anticipate having to explain to my father (Bob) that I was not in fact making a statement about him or his parenting when I named my character (on the off chance the book ever gets published and he reads it).  I just liked the name Robert-there is no relation to him whatsoever.  Then there is the problem of, "Wow, I love the name Blakely, but will the real Blakely, who I am only vaguely friends with, think I have some weird girl crush on her if I use her name?  Will she think I want to be best friends or something?"

The worst is the situation I find myself in now.  I asked a friend if I could use her boyfriend's name for my main character's love interest, and she agreed.  Now, they are broken up, but I don't want to change my character's name.  Is it awkward for her?  Should I bite the bullet and change my character's name to make her more comfortable?  GAAHHHH I could tear my hair out thinking about all the complications that come with naming a character!

All this complaining has a point!  The other day I was writing something, and I made a typo.  Before I hit space and it auto-corrected itself, I looked at the word I had typed and realized that I loved it as a name for a character.  The word I was trying to type was "every" and the word I accidentally typed was "evry".  It's happy little accidents like this that make me excited to be a (wannabe) writer.

For my Nanowrimo novel, my main character is going to be a girl named Evry Greenhill.  Evry because I like it and it's not based on a real person, and Greenhill because I miss Nashville and the Green Hills mall/theater.  Also, Greenhill seems like an appropriate name for a family in a heavily agricultural, rural society. 

There you have it, my naming process in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment