Saturday, October 8, 2011

I'm Terrible at Puns

No really...I am the worst punner ever. I would love to make interesting and eye catching titles for these posts, but it is beyond my capabilities. When I do think of a great pun, you better believe I'm going to talk about it for at least two days. It's that rare!

Anyways, on to the post. I did not post anything yesterday, after specifically saying in my first post that I plan to post daily. Basically, life got in the way and I never found a chance to write. I promised myself yesterday that I would for sure write today, but it looks like I won't be posting this until after midnight, which technically means I will have gone two days without a post. Bad Caroline! I will try my best to do better! I did not work on my book at all today or yesterday, so this post is going to be a recycled piece from an assignment I did for one of my classes. The assignment was to write an ode to anything we love. There was a very specific model we had to follow, so the format and imagery is not anything I would have come up with on my own had I been given free reign. The reason I am sharing this ode (which I planned on only the teacher ever seeing) is that it relates well to current events. Yesterday, Steve Jobs died at the young age of 56. I have never been a Mac fan, mostly because I used to game and pc's are better for gaming. I also don't see the point in spending thousands on a computer when I can buy a new pc every two years for 500 or so. Computers aside, I am deeply indebted to Steve Jobs for the one invention of his that I do use. This device is rarely out of my sight, and for all intents and purposes it runs my life. I am talking, of course, about the iPhone. I spend more time on my iPhone than I do almost anything else. I have to charge it two or three times throughout the day I use it so often. I play games on it, I browse the internet, text, call, blog, check my online accounts, and a multitude of other things. My iPhone is an essential ingredient in the recipe of my life, and for that reason, I wrote my ode to it. So thanks Steve Jobs, for making it possible for me to write poetry to a phone.

Ode to My iPhone

It was thin as glass
In a pane,
Shiny as water in the sun
Floating on a leaf
And just as clear:
A finger
Slid across the screen
Opening it.
My iPhone brightened
And showed me the home
Screen with all its square apps
That beckon and entice,
Willing me to click
And be sucked in.
It was thin as bread,
And its cover hard
As a dry crust.
It often buzzed
In my sweaty palm,
Its silencer on
As it rang
Vibrating loud.
It would lie
Like a bar of chocolate
On any hard surface,
Waiting for a call,
Waiting for a text.
It never left my pocket,
Getting warm
From my body heat
It never went dead.
My fingerprints
Left sticky marks to make
A smudged screen.
My iPhone was a miracle
Smaller than a desktop
Bigger than a wrist watch
Like computer and watch
It did everything
With effortless ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment