Saturday, December 3, 2011

Failure

Failure is an ugly word.  I don't like it at all.  Sometimes, though, it is the only word that can really describe what has happened.  This is one of those cases.  I completely and utterly failed Nanowrimo.  I wrote 2,000 or so words and just stopped.  There was a lot of  "oh I'll just write double tommorrow" and "well if I write 10,000 words this weekend it can still be done" but in the end I just didn't succeed.  Those 2,000 words were not for nothing, however.  I fully plan on continuing the story.  I really like the characters I've begun and the setting is crystal clear in my mind.  Now it's just a matter of doing it.  That's where all my writing problems seem to come from.  When I actually make myself sit down to write, the words come easily.  It's the making myself sit down and open the computer part that gets me every time.  I truly do LIKE to write.  It's not that I don't.  So I have no idea why it is so hard for me to make myself do it.  I'm the same way with running.  I love the feeling I get as a run, but I'll be damned if you can make me put on the running shoes.  I guess I'm just weird like that.

Something good did come of Nanowrimo, though.  In my never ended quest to procrastinate doing what I know I should be doing, I made up an entirely different project for myself.  The crazy thing is...I actually finished it!  That's right.  I finished a project.  I have never been more excited or enthusiastic about one either.  This may be the best, most important thing (creativity-wise) that I've ever done.  Unfortunately, I can't talk about it.  It's a present for someone you see, and until they open it on Christmas day, there will be no hints out of me as to what it is.  Just know that it's special, and it could mean the beginning of big things (relative to my tiny world) for me.  And with that teaser, I bid you adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment